Monday, July 9, 2012

FRAKKIN' COMPUTER!!!

I have decided that if I am going to continue my pursuit into digital art then I need a new computer. So I going to save up and build a customized computer that will suit my needs.
The only reason I'm telling you all this is because I wanted to share the experience with you guys.
Picking a computer can be a simple task for those who just need a few things, maybe it's portability or perhaps you just want to check you facebook. A standard computer is fine enough in those respects, however I need my comp to be a bit more... advanced.
Right now I'm working on a  Acer Aspire 5733z; it has an Intel Pentium P6200 2.1 GHz processor, and 4.00 GB RAM. It's not a great computer. In fact I cannot run Photoshop and Corel at the same time or Photoshop and Flash at the same time. All this leads to a decrease in my productivity. 
I just wanna make it clear that I'm a pretty busy guy. 
With a great influx of commissions, personal work (including a children's book that I will be posting about later), and running a business my days are packed. So I have to divide my time wisely. I do this by overviewing what projects I currently have to do and prioritizing them by importance and how long they will take to complete.
Any time that is spent on a project takes away from all my other endeavors. 
I figure that if I make the investment on a computer that will give me the ability to do tasks simultaneously then the increase in my productivity will go up which benefits us all. Yay!!!
Now I do not know that much about computers, a little more than most people, but that's all so I have been doing some research and I found out that macs are over priced.... That's a joke, well it's true but that wasn't my point. What I found out is that to get the most out of my buck and to get a comp that will be pretty damn perfect for what I need I should make my own (Well no shit) Then I had to look at how to make my own. Well there are some websites out there that will enable you to create a computer to your specifications and they build it for you! 
Ordinarily I would be all about building it myself, but that will just take too much time that I do not have.
So let's get on with it already!

Originally I was going to go with a:
Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Processor

16GB DDR3/1600MHz RAM
2 x Liquid GTX680 2GB Video
ASUS X79 Rampage IV MB
120GB x 2 Raid 0 OCZ SSD
2TB SATA3 7200 RPM Hard Drive
ASUS Xonar Sound Card
Azza Super Full-Tower Case

But this baby would end up costing me $4695.  
Yeah... no. 
But that was the 1st website I visited and I held really no reserves about it.

So I checked out probably 13 different sites and chose one I liked the best.
This was ComputerLX
they offer a free tech support for customers. All I had to do was give them a call and they helped me configure a computer. Also it should be noted that Avery (the guy I talked to) suggested a lot of options that would save me money. So that's awesome right there. I did end up selecting things that I don't really need, but with technology today it's good to get something a little more than you need so that it doesn't become obsolete within a week.









No comments:

Post a Comment